"Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it." ~Unknown

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Two-Sentence Recipe

     This morning when I woke up, I had no idea what I wanted to make for dinner.  After I had finished the New York Times Magazine though, I most definitely had a place I wanted to start from.  Mark Bittman, as any follower of this blog would know, a big favorite of Dad and I, had put together one of his ingenious "Many Easy Ways to Cook One Thing."  In this case, it was twenty-five different ways to have bacon.
     For us, bacon is usually something consumed as a side, for breakfast.  Probably with pancakes or waffles.  But in my personal experience with bacon, bacon is at it's worst on it's own.  I like my bacon chopped into baked beans, in twice baked potatoes, or in omelets, with eggs and cheese.  That amazing bacon flavor can be leveraged to take the whole meal to another level. All the recipes Bittman came up with looked really good to me, (though I don't think I'll try a few, namely the ones with tofu, or popcorn.)  Ultimately, I settled on the two-sentence bacon with grits recipe.
     Right now, the bacon is bubbling away in it's own fat, and the grits are simmering on the stove top.  Dad is grating kohlrabi roots, and I have washed the leaves and stripped the stems for a side Dad suggested during our shopping trip.  Once the bacon is done, we'll fry eggs in the left over fat.

     This was an excellent meal.  While it felt like the eggs, bacon and grits were all separate components, and that they didn't have to work together, they did, and they worked together well.  Then again, anything with that much fat will taste good, regardless.  The kohlrabi side worked out well, though I think the leaves got lost somewhere along the way.  For this meal, aside from Mark Bittman's two-sentences on the bacon with grits, there was no recipe.  It worked out very well.

1 comment:

  1. Try cooking Beef Bourguignon. Clotilde has the recipe, with CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Lilian

    ReplyDelete